When you are ready to heal, books are one of the best, most accessible ways to support your healing journey. Yet, trying to find the most helpful, and transformative, self-expansion books can be difficult. There are many potentially healing books out there but some are more effective than others.
To support your healing journey, I am providing you a curated list from my over 11 years of practicing as a relationship therapist. Every book on this list is one I recommend to my clients to support their healing because I have found them to be so personally helpful.
You can be assured that these books when applicable are rooted in research, and proven tactics, to have your most joyful and healthy life possible. These healing books provide expert guidance to support your growth as quickly, smoothly, and effectively as possible.
This list is by no means exhaustive – I’m only recommending tried and true books from my own practice as a therapist and person in recovery for codependency, PTSD, and depression.
If you have any books you would like me to review and potentially recommend, I’d love to hear from you! You may please DM me @confidentlyauthentic or you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you purchase any of these books through the link provided, I may receive a small commission. This payment allows me to keep this site up and running to provide expert advice for no charge to you. I appreciate your understanding and potential support.
Books to heal your relationships with others
- The Codependency Recovery Plan: A 5-Step Guide to Understand, Accept, and Break Free from the Codependent Cycle by Krystal Mazzola, LMFT (Related blog post: The meaning of “codependency” and how to find healing)
- The Codependency Workbook: Simple Practices for Developing and Maintaining Your Independence by Krystal Mazzola, LMFT (Related blog posts: How to Treat Codependency: CBT and Codependency and Tips for Codependency Recovery)
- Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find – and Keep – Love by Amir Levine and Rachel Heller
- Disarming the Narcissist: Surviving and Thriving with the Self-Absorbed by Wendy Behary, LCSW (Related blog post: What is narcissistic abuse in relationships?)
Books to heal your relationship with yourself to become more empowered and more confident
- Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, PhD (Related blog post: What is self-compassion?)
- Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha by Tara Brach, PhD
- Break the Good Girl Myth: How to Dismantle Outdated Rules, Unleash Your Power, and Design a More Purposeful Life by Majo Molfino (Related blog post: How to be a nice girl)
- Spinster: Making a Life of One’s Own by Kate Bolick
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- Find Your Unicorn Space: Reclaim Your Creative Life in a Too-Busy World by Eve Rodsky
Books to reduce anxiety, practice mindfulness, and heal from trauma
- Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- The Body Keeps The Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk
- The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative by Florence Williams
- The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation and Distress Tolerance by Matthew McKay PhD, Jeffrey C. Wood PsyD, and Jeffrey Brantley MD
- Mindfulness Journal for Mental Health: Prompts and Practices to Improve Your Wellbeing by Elizabeth Cronin
Books to connect with your spirituality and manifest
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero
- Calling in the One: Seven Weeks to Attract the Love of Your Life by Kathleen Woodward Thomas
- The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know by Jane Roberts
- The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming your power, creativity, brilliance and dreams by Debbie Ford